Monday, July 12, 2010

We'll See You Later, Sweet Girl

You can see the fluid in this picture. She got to the point where she could barely walk. Her legs were 4 times as thick as normal.
She was such a good Mamma. Always watching over our babies from the moment they were born.

Always a good protector.


She loved to be loved or smothered. It didn't really matter. The attention was wonderful.



She was always such a good companion for all of us.

This happened last Sunday and it has taken me this long to be able to write about it.

Last Sunday AM we made the decision to put Sheba down. She had a tumor on her liver or stomache, we're not completely sure. She had been retaining fluid so much that she looked pregnant. We were giving her lasix for months but she got to the point where she didn't want to eat or drink much. Getting her to take her pills was almost impossible. Her upper body was skin and bones while her lower half was flooding.

Putting her down was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. It was peaceful, quick, and heart-wrenching. We are just glad that she isn't in pain anymore. I still look around for her....I suppose I always will. At least once a day I think I hear the jingle of her collar. When I wake up in the morning I think she needs to go outside. Then I remember she's gone to the other side of the veil. My first "baby". We miss her so much.

5 comments:

Amy said...

So sorry to hear about Sheba.

Joanna said...

I am so sorry to hear that.

Deborah said...

I am so sorry for you all.

The one with the View said...

This floods me with Memories of our ordeal with our First Baby Last Jan! I'm SO SORRY Friend!! I know exactly how you feel, and all that you are going through! Our dogs, especially when they were there before our children, ARE our children as well!! Hugs, prayers, and sweet memories of Sheba coming your way!! It never fully goes away, but I PROMISE it gets easier! XOXOOX

Carolyn said...

I miss Sheba too-- It was so weird not seeing her when I visited. You guys gave her such a wonderful life!!