Thursday, April 23, 2009

Our Adventures Continued.....

For the first few days of being on the base, Jason's mom was with us. We got to go to Mandalay Bay to see the sharks, and another casino to watch their very impressive water show and gardens. Vegas does have a lot to offer...you just can't let the kids look too closely. There are inappropriately undressed women and men everywhere.
One night Chloe woke up to go to the bathroom. I thought nothing of it and went back to sleep. Then I heard a bloody murder type of screaming from both kids. As it turns out Chloe had stashed some toys inside the pillow that Lily was using and had yanked it out from underneath her head. (at 3AM). The fight went on for what seemed like an eternity despite Jason's and my efforts to calm them down. But Lily was actually still asleep. The girl can hold her own in her sleep...pretty amazing if you ask me!-especially when Chloe is the combatant one bringing on the torture. None of the adults were too pleased about the ruckus...the walls are very thin. However, hind sight being 20/20, it was kind of funny!
We tried to enroll Chloe in kindergarten this week and found out that she missed the cut off date by 10 days. Because she didn't complete the school year in NY she will have to do kindergarten here next year...all over again...in a 1/2 day program. I was so mad about this that I cried for a whole afternoon. Our only options are to send her back to NY and let her finish out the year while living with family in Rochester or enroll her in kindergarten next year and have her tested. But there is no guarantee that they will put her in 1st grade even if she tests well. This state wonders why they are at the bottom of the barrel in the US for education. She will be so bored w/ kindergarten for a half day after already doing full days. The girl can read, do math, and is a wiz on the computer. But she needs to obtain better social skills. I could home school her for the next 3 years.....but I'd rather not. I was her pre-school teacher and that didn't work all that well. She needs someone else to reinforce what I tell her.
Life is ever so stressful right now. Getting a mortgage is not an easy thing to do these days. Jason was supposed to be promoted to captain as soon as he finished his master's degree. Well, that hasn't happened yet and won't, we've been told, for anywhere from 2-10 months. So...we shall see if we can even get a house. But we're trying to get it all worked out. We're close to getting the house we want. Keep your fingers crossed!
I can't wait to post pictures again! There is still so much more to tell you all!
I miss you! Las Vegas just doesn't feel like home yet.

6 comments:

Garth, Melissa and all the Crazies said...

Steph, we miss you here! I was laughing so hard at your last post, your girls are so much fun! Good luck with the mortgage thing (and sorry to hear about the promotion run around). I'll keep you guys in my prayers!

Deborah said...

So you can't enroll her in school there right now in kindegarten? I say send her back to NY. What about a year in private school or a magnet school. There must be more options. That must totally suck. Good luck with the house.

brentandkashann said...

I really can hardly believe that you are there! For someone who has always been in NY it has to be really hard for all of you to adjust.
And not having job, home and school settled makes you all more homesick I am sure.
We were surprised when we came back here about the kindergarten dates because all over the west it's usually that they have to be 5 by the start of school, not the end of the calendar year. I was totally stressed the other way because I was told that I had no choice and had to send my 4 yr. old (which ended up not being so)

Anyway, on the bright side if you aren't able to get her in first grade next year here are what I see as the benefits:
1. They are older and more mature and are natural leaders in their class
2. They always get top grades
3. They don't grow up too fast and aren't always sad that they are the only ones in the class who are too young to: Date, wear makeup, Drive, etc.
Plus it just means one more year she gets to stay home and be your little girl and not go off to college.
Most schools have gifted programs (after kindergarten of course) and she can hopefully be challenged there.
Besides, 1/2 day K-garten is way more fun than 1st grade. My kids hated the transition.
But Good luck in figuring it out. I was just telling you some of the positives if you really are stuck and have to send her back to K.

Katrina said...

Hey! Just wanted to answer your question about the camera. It's a digital SLR, Nikon D60. The SLR's are a bit of an investment, but worth having great pictures.

Well, maybe look at the bright side regarding the school thing, if you're saying she needs some help on the social side of things, having her be the youngest kid in school might not have been a big help...now she will be the "oldest" when she goes. It's lame how each state has different "cut off" dates. Since moving here, Austin is definitely the youngest in his class (barely made the cut off date), and I'm not too happy about it, whereas if we'd stayed in NY, he would not be.

Joanna said...

10 days! I am so sorry that you are having trouble. I am glad that you made it ok and that you found a house. I can't wait to hear more later and see pictures.

Boss said...

What a whirlwind! I hope you're settled and comfortable in your own space soon. Clearly, those girls of yours have personalities too big to be confined to a one-bedroom apartment. I love the image of Lily telling the lady in the airport to "get moving." How can you possibly keep from cracking up when stuff like that comes out of kids' mouths?

I'm sorry to hear about the school hassles for Chloe. You'll get it figured out -- hopefully without more stress and tears. Hang in there! We miss you!