Saturday, November 15, 2008

The 4'9" Momma Bouncer...Don't Mess With Me!

Today we took the girls to a local mall to play. Daddy had to get a new prescription for his glasses and I wanted to tire the girls out. (They were already to ballet class and other Y activities...but I thought they needed more activities on such a dreary and rainy day to become sufficiently worn out)! So they were playing in this area designed for young children-all mats and things to climb on and jump off of. -Perfect for them! They were having a great time until Lily comes to me, crying, and says a boy kicked her. I told her it was probably an accident and she should just try to avoid that little boy. But Chloe came to me and said it wasn't an accident and he was really being a mean kid. So, I started watching like a hawk. I watched this boy as he stalked, pushed, hit, kicked, and pounced on other children. He was an absolute bully. After watching him do this several times in a grand total of 3 minutes I got up, walked straight over to him and told him that what he was doing was innapropriate and he needed to stop. That was his only warning. As I sat back down and kept watching he deliberately pushed my 3 year old to the ground and looked at her as if to say "don't get up or I'll do it again". Okay...so now I'm pissed. Lily was crying but I knew she was fine. I went right over to that little boy and told him he was done playing and that he needed to come with me. I put my hand on his back and gently guided him to the front of the play area and asked all the parents there who belonged to this child. They all looked stunned and no one claimed him. (Honestly I wouldn't have wanted to claim him either)! They all shrugged and looked around. So then I tell the boy he needs to take me to his parents. He gave me this stunned look and started walking and pointing. His father was sitting about 40 feet away, by himself, sleeping. The little boy then said, "Okay? I'm going back now." I said, "Oh no you're not. Excuse me sir, (tapping on his shoulder...his eyes open in surprise). Your son has been beating up on other kids. He pushed my 3 year old down for the last time." As he came out of his sleeping state he started to chastise his son and stated they were leaving. My response as I'm walking away..."Thank God!" When I returned to my seat some other moms started to clap and tell me how glad they were that I did that. Heck, I'm only 4'9" tall but I'll kick your ____ if I have to...so don't mess with me or my kids. I don't care how old you are!

9 comments:

Joanna said...

I love it! you crack me up-you are very brave!

Stephanie said...

I think most you would have done something similar if put in the same situation. Right?

Anna said...

Nice! Way to go, girl!

Anthony and Kristie said...

You go girl.

Deborah said...

Good for you! I think it is important for our kids to see us stand up for them.

Paul and Holly Domm said...

Way to go Stephanie! I love it! I would have paid alot of money to be a fly on the wall over there. That really was great what you did-I'm sure you really inspired those parents that day.

Alisha said...

Way to go! It's amazing what your mommy genes will let you do. I just had a similar experience with little boys bullying Jayden on the bus.

Boss said...

I'd have thought about doing something similar, but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to see it through. Which is why I'm especially glad there are people like you to encourage people like me. Because we all benefit when a mom takes a stand. You're awesome!

bigdog said...

Stephanie, I personally think the Tranquill anger rush has overcome you and you lost your mind! We are rubbing off on you! NOOOO!