Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Five Year Old Struggles for Power, Ballet Lessons are Painful, and Zoofun

This picture has nothing to do with the day in question...it just shows a bit of her attitude.
Before I rant, I have to preface my words with the fact that I love my daughter more than words can ever describe. Okay...now that I got that out of the way here's the story. The other day we went to Blockbuster. Chloe decided that she wanted to get Mermadia. So in route to Blockbuster I tell her that we should probably get a movie that we haven't seen because we were only getting one movie. She ignored my suggestion and remained fixated on Mermaidia. When we got to Blockbuster Lily and I found The Purple Elephant. Chloe found Mermaidia. I told Chloe that we were not going to get it because she knew it by heart and we wanted to see something new. She did not like this and proceeded to take her video up to the check-out counter. The lady told her she would have to wait for her mommy. You could see the disappointment on Chloe's face as she realized she couldn't just get it all by herself. (Now... everyone in line heard me tell her we weren't going to get that movie). Lily and I gave the check-out lady the elephant movie and I quietly said "just this one please". These few little words initiated the tantrum. Chloe started screaming at the top of her lungs......"No mommy! I don't want THAT movie, I want Mermaidia!" Crying hysterically and screaming at me magically did not make me want to give her anything she wanted. I simply gave her the mom look...you know the eyes that cut right through to your heart, and escorted her from the store as quickly as possible. The screaming did not stop, but actually escalated as we proceeded outside. As soon as we were in the car I laid into her with the meanest sounding mommy voice that I could muster and actually didn't even know I had. I don't remember my exact words because my blood pressure was through the roof...but I think it went something like this...."Chloe Mae Tranquill you will close your mouth this instant! I will NOT tolerate this kind of behavior, it is TOTALLY unacceptable and I will not have it! With every sentence she would try to interject and every time I cut her off with my pointer finger and some kind of grunt. ( I don't know ~but it worked)! My rant started as we were parked and then kept unfolding in the three minute drive home. She then had to go straight up to her room and wait for me. Because her crying and tantrums have become an issue lately we decided that she needed a spanking. I first explained to her what was going to happen and why. She got three swats on the bottom and then had to sit by herself in her room for 30 minutes. I really hate spanking but there are times when I think it might be the only way to get the message across. Immediately after the spanking, I hugged her and told her I was sorry, but that she made some very bad decisions and had to suffer the consequences. We also told her that she really needs to learn how to listen, be obediant and respectful of me and the people around her. And quite simply no means no! She is now banned from Blockbuster until further notice.
`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
On another note the girls had their first ballet lesson together. (Chloe took lessons about a year ago and this was Lily's first time. Jason and I decided that watching children ages 3-5 try to learn ballet is quite comical and painful. There are a few of them that try really hard and then there's Lily. She kind of reminds me of the outfielder picking flowers or knocking on his cup to pass the time. Just kind of there, looking around, and will occassionally do something that resembles what she's supposed to be doing. The interesting part is she remembered and could do everything the teacher taught them the day after in our living room. So I guess she did pay attention!
first position

stretching

plie

Nice toe point!

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

On Election day we voted. Chloe asked me, "Are we red or blue mommy"? I said, "We are totally red, honey. We don't want a socialized government. It doesn't work well in other parts of the world and it won't work here either". Chloe's response, "Yeah! We want the red guy!"

I just hope Obama lives up to everyone's expectations. I honestly don't think he's going to make things better. I think he's going to make us less independant and cripple our drive to better ourselves. Anyway........

We then went to the zoo, and swimming. The Buffalo Zoo now has an new rainforest exhibit that was very cool! The kids loved the bat cave, pirhannas, blue poisoned dart frog, and alligators! I never knew that bats flip their wings back and forth to help them walk anywhere on land. It's the coolest hobbled walk ever! But kinda freaky!
Here the girls are with their friends Annie and Cannon in front of the bat cave. I guess Chloe should have picked a batman shirt to wear that day!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

I'm sorry about your unfortunate Blockbuster incident, but I feel your pain! Austin is extremely strong-willed, and we've had that exact same conversation MANY times! Good job mommy and way to be tough!

Anna said...

Strong will won't always be a bad thing. Hang in! Cute cute cute ballet pictures!

Alisha said...

You got to love the outburst. I have had a few rants like this myself. My kids have received a few spanks. You could always try the chest poke. My dad used to firmly poke my chest instead of spanking me and for some reason I wished I would have just got spanked. It works great in our house. Now I just threaten with it and they stop :)