Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I Can't Stand Rude People

The girls and I had a great morning. We woke up at a decent time, we weren't rushing, they dressed themselves, brushed their teeth, we ate watermelon, strawberries, blueberries, and raisin toast for breakfast. They were sharing, being nice to each other...life was good.

Then we got to the place that I "work". My boss needed me to teach step aerobics. She was supposed to do it, forgot, and didn't have any sneakers to wear. So, we decided that I could combine the two classes and teach step for the first half hour and then take my class back to our studio for advanced body conditioning. Okay...no problem. I like step...however, I've never taught an entire step class. I use step at the beginning of my class to increase our heart rates, however, it's only for 15-20 minutes. Not an entire class. Now, here comes my second dilemma. I surveyed the class. It ranged from ages 20-90. Some of them chose not to use a step at all. Now my usual class is an advanced class-they expect me to push them to their limit. This other group....not so much. HHMMMMM....how to strike a balance.??!!....
So during the class I ask them how they are doing. Most are sweating to death, some give me a smile, some say okay, and then I get a response of, "It's a little boring and we don't normally take water breaks". So in my head I'm thinking, okay Miss Critical, why don't you teach the class? (Actually I know I thought bad words and I'll let you think of the possibilities...let's just say that I have had to repent today).
So just for kicks and giggles I decided to throw in push-ups and horizontal mountain climbers and some weights in an attempt to make it a little less boring for Miss Critical. So what does she do? She stops.....she didn't keep going with the rest of the class...she stopped to stretch for awhile. I guess she was too bored to do the harder stuff! Don't tell me you're bored with the class and then opt not to do anything when I increase the resistance.
Then at the end of class she had the nerve to come up to me and tell me that I did a good job considering that I was only given a minute notice. I wanted to throw my weights at her. It took everything in my power not to lay into her. Here I was trying to be nice so that their class didn't have to be cancelled completely. I'm NOT a step instructor and I don't want to be. I'm an Advanced Body Conditioning Instructor. Occasionally I teach yoga, Pilate's, or spinning.....NOT STEP! So I smiled and asked my class to pick up and follow me back to the studio. I've been fuming ever since.
Apparently I'm not the only instructor Miss Critical has done this to. I can't stand rude people.

5 comments:

Boss said...

I suppose that repenting for thinking bad words is reasonable, but in my mind you get enough virtue points for not saying them out loud to make remorse not worth the bother. I'm sure you're a wonderful teacher, and although I don't want to go to your class because I'm not ready for anything more physically rigorous than Advanced Nose Picking, I'd go just to pick a fight with Miss Critical. Here's hoping you don't have to sub for step class anymore!

Anna said...

Youre better than me. I think I would have thrown the weights.

Deborah said...

And I don't think I would have refrained from using more colorful language.

Stephanie said...

Thanks ladies! You always make me feel better! Now what do I do if I see Miss Critical again? I think I'll have to tell her that she should get certified to be an instructor. Then I'll take her class and berate her in front of everyone! Now that might be fun! Oh....I think I might need to repent again. The higher law, the higher law...it's so hard sometimes!

Mary said...

I agree. I hate rude people. You handled it perfectly!