
About this time last year I started coaching gymnastics again. I have such mixed emotions about this sport. I love it for everything that it did for me. It taught me hard work and
perseverance. It kept me out of trouble. It taught me how to be a perfectionist in all aspects of my life. I also learned how to take care of my body. That is until I blew my
ACL. Twice. I now have the arthritis of a 70 year old and have to go into my
orthopedic doctor as often as possible for injections. Cortisone shots don't work anymore and I'm only 33 years old!
But I vowed that I would let my children decide what sports they did and did not love. Both girls started gymnastics this year. Chloe decided that she hated all the stretching and only lasted about 3 months. Lily, however, LOVES it, and has been moving up the ranks already. She had her first exhibition in December and got her first medal. She was
sooooo excited that she wore it everywhere she went for the next 3 days. The only reason she took it off was because she broke it. (Totally fixable....Mommy just hasn't gotten around to it yet)!

When not standing on podiums, she is doing cartwheels or handstands everywhere. I have to remind her to clear a path before she starts as my jaw and her foot have had several close encounters. (Brings back memories of when I broke my own mother's jaw doing a cartwheel in the kitchen....not a great day at our house)!
Lily stays with me on the nights I coach...so she's in the gym for 8 hours a week. She just hops into whatever class she can and does her best. She's becoming quite the gym rat and loves every second of it.

Some of the girls on her team. They are all just as dramatic as she is. And I am one of her coaches. Sometimes that's a good thing, and sometimes it's not!
No comments:
Post a Comment