Sunday, August 24, 2008

A Trip Down Memory Lane

All the Olympic buzz has left me feeling a bit nostalgic. So I thougt it might be fun to take a little trip down memory lane. I started gymnastics when I was 3 years old because my pediatrician told my parents that I was too flexible. Apparently he thought I needed to stregthen the muscles around my joints because all of them could hyper-extend.






So my parents enrolled me in gymnastics and I was hooked. I did carwheels everywhere. I even kicked my mom in the jaw (in the kitchen) because I couldn't resist flipping everywhere I went. Every line became a balance beam. Mary Lou Retton became my hero!




This is my favorite picture....just love that smile! It reminds me of Chloe!





I tore my ACL when I was 16, just entering into level 10. I wanted to compete at the collegiate level division 1, but that never came to pass. So, instead I turned to diving, met my husband, got married, and had a family. The Lord works in mysterious ways. Who knows where I'd be if I hadn't torn my knee apart in gymnastics.
Wow do we look young! I'm the second in from the left on the top row. Jason is the second diver in from the left on the bottom. This is where our life began together! I wouldn't trade that for anything!

Everyone asks me if I want my children to be gymnasts. The answer is no. It's not worth losing your joints 20 years later. My advice is find a gentler sport. Any sport you choose will have it's risks. So remember to factor in your family history; arthritis? knee replacements? back injuries? What goes around comes around...especially when it comes to genetics. You have to deal with what you've been handed...so make the best of it...and try to stay surgery free!

On the other hand you need to do what you're passionate about. Gymnastics helped me to become who I am today. It taught me perserverance, hard work, goal setting, how to handle pressure, how to deal with failure, how to deal with victory, how to dream, and how to overcome fears. It even kept me out of trouble. So do I regret it? Yes and no. I wish I would've started diving sooner!













Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Mary said...

Oh I am so glad to hear the advice at the end. Clara loves gymnastics with a passion and it scares me to death. I keep trying to push her toward ballet. I'm going to show her this post tomorrow.

Deborah said...

Great post-how fun to see some of your old pictures! I'm hoping you think diving is a gentler sport.

Alisha said...

We thought of you when we were watching the Olympics. We are totally hooked too! I think it's great you have all these pictures. You look great!

Amy said...

My favorite picture is the one with the matching leg warmers. Too cute.

Anna said...

The picture of you in the middle splits made me gasp. Ouch. But it was very cool to see you younger (and somewhat funny to see Jason in a speedo).

Stephanie said...

Yeah, I showed him this picture and said, "Look honey, no love handles!" Since that little conversation he's been working out more diligently!

Another point....I think I might go back to that kind of hairstyle. What do you think?

Al Rae said...

Seeing that picture at the pool reminds me of when Chaffee and I had been at the pool watching you practice! Hard to believe that was 11 yrs ago!!

Tiffany said...

Wow! WHat an inspiration.... I never knew!

Heather said...

I like the hair style. I am impressed and agree with Amy that the splits made me gasp!! Amazing. I never knew how you two met and fun to see a younger Cliff too.

Natalie said...

I loved this post! You're too funny and talented. It took me a minute to realize that you were Stephanie Fritz. My brain doesn't work so well anymore. :)

Britta said...

How fun Stephanie! I'm glad I found out about your post. :) And that you were divers! I never knew that. I'm pretty sure Travis was joking though in having your husband teach us some platform. At this point, I think I would only like to jump off or maybe do a back flip with no form whatsoever. :)