Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Magnet Poop Scare

It has been quite some time since I've had the energy to document our life...and I have much to fill you in on. A few weeks ago Chloe got that nasty stomache bug. So she spent one entire night throwing up more than she ever has in her entire life. "I throw up 5 times and I don't want to thow up anymore".-Chloe. It was not fun. Anyway...while Chloe was sick on the couch or in her bed, entertaining Lily became quite fun. She asked to play with Chloe's Geomag set. So, I decided we could do that and we proceeded to make all kinds of triangles, squares, diamonds, pentagons...you get the picture. We had a lot of fun. Well, then I had to attend to Chloe and forgot to put the magnet set away. About an hour later, Lily comes to me quite proud of herself and says, "Momma, I ate da ball!" She was pleased as punch about this until I said, "WHAT BALL?" Then she ran away and wouldn't tell me anymore. As I rush over to where we were playing with the magnet set, I blurt out, "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap. Please not that ball!" I frantically put the set back together looking for the balls specifically. Under the pillows, cushions, sofas, -everywhere! And...there is one magnetic ball missing. Then I decide to read the label on the box. It reads, "WARNING: Toy contains Small Balls and Small Parts. Not for children under 3 years. (Lily is 2 1/2). This product contains small magnets. Swallowed magnets can stick together across intestines causing serious infections and death. Seek immediate medical attention if magnets are swallowed or inhaled." So now I'm weighing the options in my head. It's only one magnet...she should poop it out, right? I called Caroline and she called her friend who is a pediatric P.A..
The consensus was that because it was only one magnet, she should be fine. Okay, that's good because Lily is now asleep. Apparently all the fun wore her out. So, the next day I check every single poop that comes out of her little body by picking it out of the toilet and mooshing it to try to find the ball. The things you do as a mother. Apparently, I still missed it, or she pooped it out separately because I found it in the toilet bowl after many flushings about 24 hours later. So I'm not entirely sure of when it passed. All I know is Lily had a lot of poop that day. And she's just fine now! Thank God! The magnet set is now on a very high shelf and she can't play with it until she's 16.

7 comments:

Anthony and Kristie said...

Sounds like a fun day for you, I am glad Lily made it out okay.

Amy said...

The things we do for our children. Glad she is ok.

Katrina said...

This sounds like something that would happen to me. I'm glad she is O.K., what a relief for you.

Deborah said...

You are truly a dedicated mother. I'm glad it passed quickly.

Anonymous said...

Been there and done that! You're not alone except I never found the magnet that Russell swallowed.

Unknown said...

Hey, did you find a Big Bird in that toilet??? :-)

Unknown said...

Well was the magnet ok? I forgot to ask..